Facts about CO2 laser and Fraxel Laser Treatment
The CO2 lasers are ablative skin resurfacing lasers. Although there are some individuals operating the devices imported from Asia, in truth these procedures should only be performed by a trained doctor (not even a nurse).
The downtime after these procedures is about 6-8 weeks as the skin is “shaved” off, or ablated. Although results are usually great, side effects following CO2 laser resurfacing are very frequent and quiet predictable.
Side effects include redness and swelling (erythema), skin discolouration (dyspigmentation), skin eruptions and for some people eczema, skin infections and even scarring. Each procedure costs around $1200-2500, depending on provider and area of skin treated. The work is done on the epidermis (top layer of skin).
These are non ablative and target the dermis (mid layer of the skin) rather than epidermis. These treatments use a device to deliver a laser beam divided into thousands of microscopic treatment zones that target a fraction of the skin at a time. This is analogous to a photographic image being enhanced or altered pixel by pixel.
The results after Fraxel are very similar to Dermal Skin needling and/or IPL photorejuvenation, however the costs are a lot higher. The procedures are less expensive that CO2 though – approximately $900-$1500 per are (still very overpriced in my opinion for what you get).
Fraxel treatments classification
- Fraxel Repair
- Suitable for severely damaged skin.
- Recovery: approx 10 days.
- Single treatment cost: betw $3,000 and $5,000
- Fraxel Restore
- Suitable for moderately damaged skin (wrinkles, acne scars, melasma)
- Recovery: 2-4days
- Single treatment cost: betw $1,300 to $1,800
- Fraxel Refine
- Suitable for minor skin damage
- Recovery: minimal, and patients can usually return the work the same of following day
- Treatment Cost between $900 to $1,300
Just for comparison
Dermal needling session or IPL photo rejuvenation or Stem Cell Infusion Clinical Facial
- Suitable for all skin damage as well as preventative
- Recovery: usually zero down time, at times skin may look flushed immediately after treatment (except for Stem Cell Infusions)
- Cost: $300 per session for dermal needling (approx 1hr including preparation time)
- Cost: $250 per session for photo rejuvenation (approx 30min)
- Cost: $250 per session for stem cell infusion clinical facial (1hr)
At Laser, Skin & Wellness Clinic we offer Dermal Needling, IPL photo rejuvenation as well as Stem Cell Infusion. We believe that in most less equals more and less invasive, safer treatment options do in fact provide just as good or better results. All without all the preparative trouble for the patient or the hefty price tag attached
What to do to maintain results after the procedure?
Since your skin will continue to age naturally, we recommend maintaining your results. This helps slow down aging and keeps your skin younger looking, longer. Maintenance can be achieved using physician-strength rejuvenation products at home and having periodic non-ablative treatments in our clinic.
Manual (much more precise) Microdermabrasion, IPL Photofacials and other high performing anti-ageing treatments can be used individually or in combination to maintain your investment.
And of course, always wear your hat and good physical (not chemical) sunscreen at all times when outdoors.