How it all started
Epidermal growth factor EGF was founded in 1986 by scientists Stanley Cohen and Rita Levi-Motalcini. For their work of understanding how cells communicate with each other during cellular growth they received a Nobel Prize in Medicine. The power of EGF for skin rejuvenation and skin care formulation was recognized
A lab-derived oligopeptide, EGF is an age-prevention ingredient that supports cell renewal and wound repair.
How does EGF work?
EGF works by attracting cells to a wound site in order to begin the repair process. First protein is released by platelets during the healing inflammation stage, after it attracts cells to the injured area. The responsive cells, called osteoblasts, process EGF, speeding up wound-healing, allowing the skin to repair itself evenly and quickly.
If EGF is applied to the skin, tissue regeneration begins. The protein supports cell renewal by assisting in the synthesis of proteins and increasing circulation, mitosis, the number of fibroblasts and accumulation of collagen and blood-vessel formation.
Where Growth Factor used?
- To enhance the effects of peel therapy treatments, enzyme and microdermabrasion apply EGF. It works in synchronicity with the natural renewal process and helps rebuild the skin from a healthy, well-nourished foundation
- Growth factor rebuilds and heals the skin after treatment of skin lesions with various active topicals, including benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, salicylic acid, retinol or resorcinol
- EGF’s potent regenerating properties will boost the age-reversal effects of the injectable-filler procedure by stimulating the cells to produce collagen.
- EGF helps instantly calm and soothe the skin after mole removal procedure
- For oily or acneic skin, a growth-factor gel can work as a daily moisturizer and protector because it absorbs quickly and helps heal lesions.
- Clients with aged or photodamaged skin can use EGF to help regenerate the skin and increase the effects of age-reversing spa treatments.
Why Medik8 Growth Factor?
Dr Isaacs UK lists Medik8 Growth factor benefits
- Medik8 GFS contains growth factors bio-identical to the EGF already present in your skin
- No irritation and can be used on all skin types
- Use the same synthetic and purification techniques as in pharmaceutical industry (production of insulin injected by diabetic patients) and uses a non-human or animal source to manufacture synthetic human growth factor
- No human sources of EGF because they are banned in Europe and many other countries because of health safety concerns.
- The purest and most powerful formula on the market. Any impurities in the EGF (known as Proteases) can actually attack the EGF whilst it sits in the bottle / container. This is not dangerous, but it just means that the EGF will be less effective when you put it on the skin.
- Triple filtration process means that the EGF serum is highly stable and therefore highly effective.
How to use Medik8 Growth factor?
Apply a few drops to the face twice daily as part of your routine. Follow with your preferred moisturiser.
Although cell activity will be increasing from the initial application, you should expect to see noticeable results around 6 weeks.
Medik8 recommend using a skin needling device to enhance the absorption of the EGF molecule (which is a large molecule).