The skin around the eyes is 10 times thinner than the skin on the face. It also dryer, more fragile and has fewer pores. As we age, skin loses its elasticity and becomes even thinner due to a breakdown of collagen. This can be additionally aggravated by sun exposure, smoking, and other environmental exposures.
The eye area can show everyone your lack of sleep, excess of food and alcohol and just how good you’re feeling- or not.
You must pay special attention to the eye area and treat it diligently and consistently
Why can’t I use my face moisturizer around my eyes?
While most face products won’t actually cause harm to the delicate skin around the eyes, some ingredients may be slightly irritating or ineffective so it is always best to choose products specifically formulated for the eye area or ones that state that they are safe for use around the eyes. Eye creams contain special ingredients to target specific concerns around the eyes like dark circles and puffiness.
- Day Repair – Sircuit Revelation intensive anti-wrinkle eye serum
- Night Repair – Medik8 Retinol Eye
What are LAUGH LINES – CROWS FEET
The skin of the eye contour is constantly moving, blinking alone produces 10,000 movements per day! Other facial movements and expressions such as smiles, squinting, and stress can also affect the eye area, creating fine lines or crows feet – lines that appear on the outside corner of the eye
The other reason for laugh lines to appear are caused by the breakdown of collagen in the skin, a direct result of sun exposure and extrinsic aging, just like other wrinkles on the face. Since skin around the eyes is much thinner than that of the face, wrinkles may appear prematurely.
Using an eye cream twice will soften the look of fine lines and deeply moisturize the delicate skin around the eyes. Adding a serum containing Collagen and Hyaluronic Acid will keep skin firm, moist and plump. Avoiding excessive sun exposure and using eye creams are the keys to preventing signs of aging around the eyes.
- Best for eye anti-aging – Skeyndor Eternal Icy Eye Cream
- Best for firming + lifting – CosMedix Opti Crystal Chirally Correct Eye Serum
- To fight the look of tired eyes – Sircuit I. CEE U.+ firming anti-aging eye gel
PUFFINESS AND BAGS
Puffiness results when a fat pad that cushions the eye begins to pull away from the bone of the lower eye and sags due to age. Heredity makes this more of a problem for some people. Retaining water can also cause puffiness, especially in the morning. Lack of sleep, meals high in salt, high blood pressure, alcohol, and stress can all result in puffy eyes.
Using and eye gel works as a soothing, cooling morning treatment for tired, puffy eyes. In some cases the puffiness is not caused by the skin retaining fluid but by the protrusion of the fatty pad under the eye
- Best to remove puffiness – CosMedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7ml)
- Best against eye bags – Skeyndor Power C+ Eye Contour Cream
Dark circles are caused by blood vessels showing through the delicate skin around the eye area giving the under eye area a bluish, purple cast. It is often a hereditary condition. Fluid and hemoglobin from leaky capillaries can pool under the eyes giving a bruised effect and nasal congestion dilates and darkens the veins that drain from the eyes to the nose. Dark circles can also be caused by anemia. The thinner the skin and the more deep set the eyes are, the worse the condition can appear.
- Daily under eye care – Sircuit WHITE OUT+
- To diminish dark circles – Medik8 Dark Circles
- For Brightening + Smoothing under eye area – Skeyndor Power C+ Pure Concentrate
How to keep our eye area looking beautiful?
Here are few tips:
- In choosing a product, it is important that it be oil-free. Products containing oil increase the likelihood of clogged glands around the eyes
- Use an eye cream rich in antioxidants like Vitamins A, E, C and K which can help strengthen capillary walls
- Use a specific anti wrinkle eye creams for your age group
- Avoid over indulging in salty foods and alcohol which cause the skin to retain fluids, resulting in a shadowy look under the eyes
- Getting enough rest will minimize the look of dark circles.
- Rinse your face quickly with ice cold water to reduce swelling
- Make sure the under eye area is moist to avoid make-up caking in the fine lines drawing more attention to the area
- Camouflaging and under eye enhancing. There are number of products on the market now like Eyesential